Step 1 The Skincare Face-ics.
This is it ladies; you’ve got the dress, the shoes, the bag, the pre-party prosecco and Destiny’s Child ‘Bootylicious’ over the speaker – you’re ready. All that’s left? The face. If you live for a full Kim K style transformation like I do this is the fun part. If not, then you’re probably already filled with all-consuming dread or simply can’t-be-arsed-ness.
Well fear not! Every day this week I’ll be bringing you one part of a fool proof, step-by-step routine with tops tips on some of the trickiest parts of the face-painting ritual (did someone say winged eyeliner?) PLUS party playlist music to set the scene. Done right this look should be fresh and glamourous but not too intense, it will be light outside when you arrive after all!
Make sure to check out the bottom of each post for some of my personal product recommendations!
Step 1 – The Skincare Face-ics
On the playlist – Fleetwood Mac ‘Everywhere’
- The first and most important parts of any make-up routine is the bit you do before any make-up actually touches your face!
- Start by washing off any existing make-up and dirt from the day with a cleanser or make-up wipe and give your face a good rinse with warm (NEVER HOT) water.
- Next step is a quick exfoliation, especially around the nose and chin – this will remove any dead skin cells (ew) and smooth your skin ready for seamless make-up application.
- Next it’s onto a facemask (unless you’re rushing, in which case skip this part). Use any mask you like – something that offers brightening or hydrating will be particularly good – smooth over your whole face and leave on for 10 minutes, using your wait time to do important things like pulling weird faces at yourself in the mirror and eating pizza.
- Wash off the mask (again with warm, not hot, water) and gently pat your face dry with a towel
- Finish by applying your favourite moisturiser (and eye cream if you’re extra fancy), and then give it a few minutes to sink in.
- Voila! You’re clean as a whistle and ready for step 2: creating a flawless base, which will be here at the same time tomorrow.
My personal favourites…
Cleanser – Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser
This genius cleanser comes with a free muslin cloth, gets rid of every trace of makeup in moments and is really good value for money. Trust me, once you’ve tried this you won’t go back to makeup wipes. (Get it: Online, or at Boots & John Lewis)
Exfoliator – St Ives Invigorating Apricot Scrub
You can’t go too far wrong with this cult scrub – it removes all traces of roughness, is kind to all skin types, smells great and is a bargain at under £5! (Get it: Boots, Superdrug, ASDA, pretty much anywhere)
Facemask – L’Oreal Pure Clay Detox Face Mask
L’Oreal brought this mask out fairly recently and I’m a big fan. It applies really easily and leaves my skin silky smooth – the only downside is that it dries really hard so I can’t speak properly, which is somewhat of an issue for a waffler like myself. (Get it: Superdrug & Boots)
Moisturiser – Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion
This is a brilliant everyday moisturiser and is great pre-makeup. It’s really hydrating but still nice and light so you don’t feel too slathered or sticky. (Get it: Boots & Debenhams)
Eye Cream – Benefit ‘It’s Potent’ Eye Cream
This wonder cream instantly wakes eyes up and used over time combats dark circles and fine lines. It might seem pricey for something so small as your under eyes, but you only need a tiny bit so the pot really lasts. (Get it: Boots, Debenhams, John Lewis)